Trump delays Iran strike after Gulf leaders push for diplomacy

Trump delays Iran strike after Gulf leaders push for diplomacy

US President Donald Trump said he has delayed a planned attack on Iran after requests from leaders in Saudi Arabia, Qatar and the United Arab Emirates.

Trump said the strike had been scheduled for Tuesday. He announced on Truth Social that he would “hold off” because “serious negotiations” are now underway with Tehran.

According to Trump, Gulf leaders believe a diplomatic agreement can still be reached.

Despite the delay, Trump warned that Washington remains ready for a “full, large scale assault of Iran, on a moment’s notice” if talks fail to produce an acceptable deal.

Possible US strike and then what?

The latest development comes as negotiations between Washington and Tehran remain fragile. Iran recently sent a new peace proposal to the United States through Pakistan, which continues to act as a mediator between both sides.

The proposal reportedly focuses first on ending the war, reopening the Strait of Hormuz and easing maritime sanctions, while nuclear issues would be discussed later.

Trump had earlier rejected a previous Iranian proposal and described it as “garbage.” He also warned over the weekend that “the clock is ticking” for Iran.

A fragile ceasefire remains in place after weeks of conflict triggered by US-Israeli strikes on Iran. Shipping markets continue closely monitoring developments around the Strait of Hormuz, a key global oil and LNG trade route.