The combined volume of containerized shipments handled at ports in China nosedived 17.9% from a year earlier to 13.7 million TEU in February under the influence of the ongoing Covid-19 outbreak, according to the China’s Ministry of Transport (MOT).
Coastal ports were responsible for 12.4 million TEU in total, which represents a 17.2% fall. Inland river ports also suffered a greater double-digit contraction of 23.8% to amount to 1.3 million TEU.
Container lifting at China’s major ports in February:
- Port of Shanghai – 2.3 million TEU, down 19.5%
- Port of Ningbo-Zhoushan – 1.5 million TEU, down 21%
- Port of Qingdao – 1.3 million TEU, down 6.9%
- Port Shenzhen – 1.2 million TEU, down 24.4%
- Port Guangzhou – 1.1 million TEU, down 17.9%