A senior official of Iran’s Ports and Maritime Organization (PMO) announced on Wednesday (Nov. 21) that Iran has signed several contracts with European companies to further equip the strategic port of Chabahar despite the US sanctions.
“Equipping Chabahar’s Shahid Beheshti port has again been put on the agenda,” Mohammadreza Allahyar, a member of the PMO’s executive board, told Fars News Agency on Wednesday.
“A number of contracts have been inked to this end and the European companies will cooperate with us in this area and special equipment, including dredging machines, will be purchased” he added.
Provincial Director General of the PMO in Sistan-Baluchestan Province Behrouz Aqaei announced earlier this month that more than €30 million was invested in Chabahar port logistics’ section since March 21.
Aqaei pointed out, “Chabahar port has an important role in regional and international transitions since it provides important and cheap access for landlocked countries, such as Afghanistan, to get connected to high seas.”
The fact that Iran has invested over one billion dollars in the first phase of Shahid Beheshti Port in Chabahar to construct the infrastructures shows how important the port is, Aqaei said.
He said that transiting 110,000 tons of wheat and grains to Afghanistan was an instance of the importance of sea transportation, adding that in the five months, Chabahar has transited goods sixfold of what it had transited in the past five years.
Read more on Iran Daily.