17.3 C
Hamburg
Thursday, September 16, 2021
Home Port News Backlog remains in Shanghai in Typhoon In-fa’s wake

Backlog remains in Shanghai in Typhoon In-fa’s wake

Shanghai port is still clearing a backlog of ships, as it had to be closed for four days when Typhoon In-fa hit on 26 July.

IHS Markit’s tracking data shows that as of 5 August, there are 120 container ships in Shanghai, some of them remaining in the world’s busiest container port since 22 July.

Typhoon In-fa brought record amounts of rainfall to China in July 2021, becoming the second-wettest tropical cyclone ever recorded in the country. The typhoon was also the first to hit Shanghai since Typhoon Mitag in October 2019. Port operations in Shanghai and Ningbo were suspended and ships at anchorage were directed to take shelter outside of the typhoon’s path. All container ship docks were closed in Shanghai Port’s Yangshan Deepwater Port, with 150 ships having to be evacuated.

A release from Shanghai International Port Group said that as soon as Typhoon In-fa was forecast to hit the city, it held meetings on 23 July to make contingency plans. Checks were carried out on ships anchored in the port to ensure that the vessels were secure and the container lashings were in place.

There are also concerns of another logjam as the Delta variant of the Covid-19 virus has now hit half of China's 32 provinces, causing lockdowns in the affected areas. This is despite China having vaccinated at least half of its population.

On 3 August, China reported 71 new locally transmitted COVID-19 cases, the highest since January, with infections growing for five consecutive days since 30 July.

Drewry’s senior manager, Simon Heaney told Container News that if China re-imposes strict regional lockdowns there would be a significant reduction in manufacturing output.

“One positive from this scenario is that any enforced slowdown in demand will provide a window of opportunity for the supply chain to fix itself, assuming the freight transportation network is spared from any working restrictions,” he noted.

Jason Chiang, director of Royal HaskoningDHV unit Ocean Shipping Consultants, told Container News that if lockdowns are implemented in China, selected ports could be affected.

He added, “The shipping lines would likely skip sailings to meet their schedules, depending on the severity of the situation.”

Martina Li
Asia Correspondent

Latest Posts

Port of Barcelona achieves strong numbers in 2021

The Port of Barcelona has announced a significant 31% increase in its container traffic from the start of the year until August, compared with...

Lloyd’s Register calls for immediate action on maritime decarbonisation

A new report from the technical and business services organisation Lloyd's Register (LR) has called for "immediate action on maritime decarbonisation" in order to...

MCS resolves FMC dispute with COSCO, complaint against MSC pending

US furniture manufacturer MCS Industries, which had filed a complaint to the Federal Maritime Commission (FMC) alleging that Chinese state-owned shipping group COSCO Shipping...

Los Angeles sees steady box traffic in August

The Port of Los Angeles (POLA) has recorded a steady amount of cargo volumes during August, compared to the same month last year, driven...

DG cargoes galore in Chittagong port mounting risks

Bangladesh’s prime gateway, Chittagong port seems to be under severe risk with approximately 486 tonnes of dangerous goods (DG) cargoes remain stored in its...