When shipping goods, timely delivery is crucial in customer satisfaction. That's why every business model should ensure that customers get orders as soon as possible. While the post office and major carriers are reasonably quick, orders can be weighed down with other platforms. However, this problem can be prevented by choosing truckers.
That said, what are the important considerations when choosing heavy haul trucking logistics solutions?
What Is Heavy Haul Tracking?
First, let’s take a look at what heavy haul trucking is. This refers to transporting commodities that are heavier or larger than traditional loads. For instance, Texas heavy haul trucking companies have industry experience and employ experts in heavy haul trucking jobs. These logistics companies can handle heavy haul freight, including heavy equipment, wide loads, and oversized freight.
Check out some of the important things you need to know about heavy haul trucking logistics solutions:
- Whether your freight needs to go anywhere in the United States, Canada, or Mexico, a heavy haul trucking company can handle the job.
- From loading, transport, and delivery, loads are kept safe and secured.
- A logistics agent from the trucking company usually obtains all paperwork and permits for transport. Heavy haul trucking services also provide pilot cars and escorts for all types of heavy haul trucking jobs.
9 Important Considerations When Choosing Heavy Haul Trucking Logistics Solutions
- Quality Heavy Haul Trucking Services
First and foremost, choose a company that provides excellent services. All drivers must be highly experienced in driving heavy haul trucks. With quality heavy haul trucking services, clients can benefit from the use of specialised tools and equipment, such as cranes and ramps, for loading and offloading of heavy equipment.
Here's how to ensure quality heavy haul trucking services:
- Check the track record of the company through regulatory agencies such as the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration (FMSA), an agency in the US Department of Transportation, which regulates the trucking industry in the country.
- Hire a freight broker who will be in charge of monitoring goods and shipping processes, as well as provides updates to ensure items are properly delivered in a timely manner at reasonable shipping rates.
- Read client testimonials through community forums, the company's website, social media, and other review platforms.
- Safety Measures
Safety records must be checked before committing to hire the services of any heavy haul truck company. Loads should be safe to avoid expensive losses. While accidents are inevitable, it is still best to stay away from heavy haul trucking companies with records of frequent accidents. Choose a company with full insurance coverage for cargo protection in case an unforeseen event occurs.
Check out these safety measures that a heavy haul trucking company should have:
- Routine Truck Maintenance: All motor carriers must perform regular inspections, vehicle repairs, and maintenance before each trip. Fluid levels, engine health, brakes, horns, and mirrors should be checked to ensure the proper condition and safe operation of trucks on the road.
- Careful Loading of Cargo: During transport, cargo can shift and move. Whether the truck is loaded or not, the company should ensure security and balance. Serious problems may arise if the cargo is not loaded and secured properly, which can possibly cause the trailer to overturn and inflict serious injuries to motorists and pedestrians. Improperly balanced loads may lead to a truck accident.
- Following Service Regulation Hours: More often than not, truck drivers are getting paid for shipments based on mileage. This is why trucks drivers want to finish the job faster to get a higher pay, then move on to one shipment after another. However, safety could be compromised with this type of payment method for truck drivers. That's why it's better to choose a heavy haul trucking company that provides fixed pay for truck drivers to avoid liabilities, costly losses, and safety hazards.
A good heavy haul trucking company is always transparent by responding to all questions. Information is readily available. A company that’s reluctant to answer queries and hides information are tell-tale signs of poor service. Make sure to choose a company that’s easy to approach.
Check out the following information before signing any agreement or contract with a heavy haul trucking company:
- Services offered
- Heavy haul load capacity
- Types of insurance coverage
- Shipping timeframes
- Shipping costs and other fees
- Shipping options
You can find a detailed explanation of each by continuing to read below.
- Capability to Haul Desired Equipment
It’s vital to choose a heavy haul trucking company with the capability to transport your desired equipment or other types of load needed to be moved. Don't waste time dealing with a company without the necessary equipment to haul the required load. Before searching around for heavy haul trucking services, determine exactly how much load is needed to be hauled. Ask for accurate quotes when checking out different options.
- Meets Compliance Standards
Check to ensure that the trucking company meets compliance standards. Heavy hauling is strictly regulated in the US, so it's important to ask about how the company works to meet these standards. Ask the company to provide proof of permits, licensing, and certification for handling different sizes and types of loads. A good company can readily provide evidence to prove their good reputation and excellent services.
Check out some of the advantages of working with a heavy haul trucking company that meets compliance standards:
- Avoid shipment delays due to lack of travel permits.
- It will avoid the risk of damaged items.
- Avoid time-consuming and costly legal proceedings later on.
- Appropriate Insurance Coverage
Aside from applying extensive safety measures, a good heavy haul trucking service also has proper insurance. Aside from insurance coverage regarding the type of hauling needed, there must be insurance for the weight of the load.
Remember that even the simplest hauling jobs and shortest hauling trips must be insured because accidents happen, most especially in unexpected times and situations. Never assume that the insurance of the heavy hauling service will cover the material or goods being shipped. It’s crucial for the shipper to check if supplemental insurance is needed to protect their investment.
Check out the important reasons why ensuring sufficient insurance coverage is crucial when choosing a heavy haul logistics solution:
- Avoid paying for the driver's hospitalization if an accident happens, as well as for the hospitalization of other injured parties.
- Avoid dealing with the legalities arising from truck accidents.
- Protect undelivered or damaged goods to avoid big losses.
- Have peace of mind that the shipment is fully covered if any untoward event happens.
- Shipping Times
Choose a freight company that’s more interested in shipping items to customers, providing more efficient and faster shipping times. Large shipments require freight specialists for speedy delivery of items to customers. It's a good idea to know the average shipping times of the heavy haul trucking company to know whether it's a worthwhile service.
A good heavy haul trucking company knows how to protect large and heavy packages following strict transportation guidelines. Heavy haul trucking experts have high-quality shipment tracking. The exact locations of packages are easily determined using load sensors and specialized tags.
- Personalised Shipping Options
Carriers and some trucking companies force clients to abide by their set rules and limits. That's why hiring freight specialists who are more concerned with the needs and preferences of the client is a good decision. It will ensure that goods are delivered according to the customers’ needs.
Shippers should not be confined to limited options. Choose a company that can provide flexible logistics solutions. Clients should have the freedom to choose where the goods should go and the speed required for end-users or receivers to get them on time.
- Shipping Possibilities
Working with a freight specialist gives shippers a better chance of expanding its business in unlimited and exciting ways. It is because freight professionals are highly knowledgeable and skilled in managing bulky, heavy, and large load transactions, as well as developing cost-effective logistics solutions.
Here are tips when choosing a heavy haul trucking company for greater shipping possibilities:
- Pick a freight company that can ship throughout the city, state, and across the country.
- If the target audience of the shipper is across all states, cross-country shipping is a major benefit that is rarely provided by other companies.
- Choose a trucking company that can also ship to other countries, such as sending ground freight to Canada or Mexico. Having more options enables business owners and shippers to expand beyond international boundaries.
- Heavy Haul Trucking Trends
Choosing a heavy haul trucking service that embraces advanced technology is a good decision. For instance, it's better to work with a company that is backed up with complete GPS tracking tools that can track everything, from pallets, cabs, to trailers.
Check out the GPS features used by heavy haul trucking services today:
- Speed Alerts: Because the trucking industry involves balancing safe driving and on-time deliveries, GPS with speed alert features provide logistic companies with email alerts when a haul truck exceeds the predetermined speed setting.
- Geofence Alerts: This GPS feature sends emails every time a truck enters the region.
- Reporting: Be able to easily monitor trucks travelling out of state with one to two minutes of progress reporting.
FAQs About Heavy Haul Trucking
- Why hire a freight broker company?
When deciding to use heavy haul trucking logistics, hiring a freight broker company is a smart idea. As explained by American Freight, brokers are not new to the trucking industry because they have been around in the early 20th century. The job of freight brokers is to match shippers with carriers or act as a transportation intermediary for a smoother shipping process.
Here are the advantages of hiring a freight broker company:
- Brokers provide valuable service to shippers and carriers.
- Freight brokers help find trusted and reliable carriers that shippers might not be aware of.
- Freight broker companies coordinate all shipping needs, serving as a “traffic department” for shippers.
- What are the characteristics or qualities of heavy haul freight?
An overweight or oversized shipment exceeds the legal limitations or standards for transporting freight across the road. Each state is given freedom by the federal government to set regulations for overweight and oversized shipments. These shipments are generally classified as cargo exceeding:
- Height of 13.6 feet
- Length of 48 to 53 feet
- Width of 8.6 feet
- Gross weight of 80,000 lbs.
- What are the permits required for heavy haul freight?
Heavy haul freight must obtain proper permits and documentation before travel. Permits are usually issued per shipment. Regulations vary and may require varying permits, including city, municipality-specific, or county permits. Most states issue oversized freight permits to travel as outlined in state laws, usually within three to five days. Details of operating hours must also be specified.
Some states limit travel hours for heavy haul freight travel during the week. Other states may have holiday or weekend travel restrictions. Before moving the shipment, learn about state guidelines to make sure all the proper permits are obtained.
- What are the additional materials needed for heavy haul trucking?
The federal law requires all transporting of oversized goods to have specific travel accommodations or be marked by special signage, such as oversized load banners placed on the front and rear parts of that truck carrying the shipment.
Safety flags must be placed, such as fluorescent red or orange flags at the outermost corners of the truck. Also, some states require trucks to have rotating yellow LED lights to easily distinguish them from other vehicles. In some states, pilot or escort vehicles, like police escorts, are required to accompany wide loads.
- What do axle restrictions mean?
Axle restrictions refer to weight limits that are based on the axle when transporting oversized loads. The federal government limits the total weight carried on an axle. Here are the weight limitations per axle specification:
- Steer Axles: Carry loads no more than 12,000 lbs.
- Single Axles: Carry cargo weighing no more than 20,000 lbs.
- Drive Axles: Carry loads no more than 34,000 lbs.
- Tandem Axles: Carry loads weighing not over 34,000 lbs.
If the cargo exceeds these axle weight restrictions, equipment with additional axles is required.
When choosing heavy haul trucking logistics, it's important to consider the loading capacity, speed, shipping times, and quality of services. Choosing a trucking company that can provide more options is a good decision to ensure the smooth flow of shipment across the state or the country, and even abroad. Also, transparency and safety must be considered when choosing a freight company to avoid costly losses.