1.9 C
Hamburg
Friday, December 4, 2020
Home Port News Port of Le Havre turns green with pollution control deals

Port of Le Havre turns green with pollution control deals

Port of Le Havre has joined the "Getting to Zero" coalition which aims to reduce greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions from shipping by at least 50% by 2050, compared to 2008 levels.

This coalition was launched at the United Nations Climate Action Summit 2019 as part of a partnership between three intergovernmental organisations, the Global Maritime Forum, Friends of Ocean Action and the World Economic Forum, and at the moment counts more than 90 members from across maritime, energy and finance industries.

To reach this goal and to make the transition to full decarbonisation possible, the members of this coalition are committed to help develop zero-emission ships and fuels by 2030.

"We share the ambition to become a positive-energy port," said Baptiste Maurand, managing director HAROPA - Port of Le Havre, who went on to add, "By joining the 'Getting to Zero' coalition, we intend to actively contribute to the development of an ever-cleaner service for our customers and stakeholders of the supply chain."

Another move by the French port with a noteworthy environmental impact is the partnership with SEREP, a part of the SARPI Veolia waste management group, in order to set up a local industry for the treatment of scrubber residues.

In particular, the Port of Le Havre and SEREP have worked to develop a collection and treatment of scrubber waste industry in order to offer concrete solutions to shipping companies that choose to use scrubbers.

In addition to this, the port will cover 30% of the cost of the waste collection and disposal witht he remaining 70% covered by the vessel operator, with the aim, by the port, to encourage ship lines to deposit their liquid waste and scrubber residues on site,.

"In order to respond to environmental issues and support the coming into force of new regulations, the company has expanded its range of solutions with the collection and treatment of scrubber residues," commented Laurent Gallien, SEREP managing director.

It is important to note that Le Havre has been in the Sulphur Emission Control Area (SECA) since 2015, a perimeter where the sulphur oxide emission rates must not exceed 0.1%. Ships sailing and docked in the port must either use fuels containing no more than 0.1% sulphur or be fitted with a closed-loop scrubber system to filter and wash exhaust fumes.

"Alongside the world maritime shipping actors, the Port of Le Havre has engaged in an ambitious ecological transition to reduce the carbon footprint of its activities on the environment," stated Maurand.

"Among the actions carried out, there is the development of a scrubber residues industry. To promote and make it sustainable, we have also set up a financial incentive for our customers, taking in charge 30% of the cost of collecting liquid waste including scrubber residues," he went on to explain.

- Advertisment -Port Montreal advertisment
- Advertisment - LR Sustainability Decarbonisation Digital Adverts

Latest Posts

European ports, except Antwerp, suffer covid-19 volume slump.

As shipping lines have seen their fortunes made after a period of severe decline in volumes during the pandemic, ports and terminals have not...

Walmart launches construction on South Carolina distribution centre

The American multinational retail corporation, Walmart has started construction on its more than 900,000m2 Walmart Ridgeville Import Distribution Center in Dorchester County, South Carolina. Walmart...

Port of Gothenburg initiative mitigates empty boxes shortage

The Port of Gothenburg has launched an "Empty Container Initiative" campaign in order to support container storage during the holiday season, from December lasting...

Updated: ONE Apus heads to Kobe for container offloading

One Apus shipowner, Chidori Ship Holding, has offered a revised estimate of the container losses after the ship was hit by a storm last...

Pandemic is continuing to affect liner schedules

Covid-19 pandemic continues to challenge the container shipping industry, forcing shipping lines to implement several blank sailings and rotation changes across the world. Maersk Line...

We have introduced a voluntary registration system which will help us to understand our customers better and offer them an improved service.

From 1 January, 2021 registration will be required but news content access will remain free of charge.