16 C
Hamburg
Thursday, July 29, 2021
Home Port News MUA warns of potential industrial chaos in Darwin Port

MUA warns of potential industrial chaos in Darwin Port

The Maritime Union of Australia (MUA) has warned of potential disruption to the Port of Darwin if the new private port operator Landbridge does not come to the table recognising the legitimate claims of its workforce.

MUA Assistant National Secretary Warren Smith said the controversial multinational company is sitting on top of millions of dollars of public assets and refuses to pass on decent outcomes to its workforce.

Workers are seeking a three per cent pay rise per year and for Landbridge to provide income protection in lieu of the reduced job security as a result of privatisation.

“Workers are simply seeking a reasonable deal that reflects the considerable concessions made when transferring to the private sector from previously secure public sector jobs,” Smith said.

“These workers’ claims are just and reasonable and reflect an understanding of the new private operating environment in the port.

“Workers are steadfast in their view that this controversial multinational company needs to meet these demands before they settle any agreement.

"Workers have listened to the company’s arguments but they are not listening to their workforce who have worked tirelessly to see a seamless transition to private ownership in the Port of Darwin.

"It is fundamentally wrong that privatisation has led to a showdown with the workforce when there has never been industrial action in the public port authority.

“The MUA and it members will not stand for the lowest-ever offer in port authority history and are prepared to mount a campaign to win justice in this transition from public to private ownership.”

Landbridge controversially took out a 99-year lease at Darwin port in 2015 amid concerns that Australia was leasing out a piece of critical infrastructure with national strategic importance to a multinational company.

Latest Posts

DP World acquires new tractors for Luanda’s terminal

DP World Luanda is investing in the modernisation of its Multipurpose Terminal (MPT) at the Angolan port, with the acquisition of 30 new tractors. Βeing...

Hapag-Lloyd to boost its box capacity with 130,000TEU

The German liner operator, Hapag-Lloyd is in ongoing discussions for the acquisition of 10 container ships with 13,000TEU capacity each, enhancing further its total...

BIFA sees no end in container line surcharges

The British International Freight Association (BIFA), the trade association that represents UK freight forwarding and logistics companies, has been monitoring conditions in the global...

Transnet gradually returns to normal activities

Navis customer links have returned to normal and are now fully operational in all container terminals of the Transnet network as of 27 July,...

Hapag-Lloyd sets new charges from Asia

Hapag-Lloyd has announced several rate increases, which will take effect in August, for sailings starting from Asia ports. Firstly, the German carrier will impose a...