10.1 C
Hamburg
Wednesday, January 20, 2021
Home News DP World attacks on workers' rights, MUA says

DP World attacks on workers’ rights, MUA says

DP World, which is the largest stevedore in Australia employing more than 1,800 waterfront workers, notified employees in Melbourne, Sydney, Brisbane and Fremantle that previously approved leave had been cancelled immediately, according to Maritime Union Australia (MUA).

The workers were unable to fulfill family obligations and, apart from that, the the company also banned workers from meeting with union representatives on company property, kicking union officials out of car-parks where they were waiting to meet members during work breaks, MUA says in its release.

MUA describes the move of the global operator as an unlawful and aggressive attack on worker's rights.

The Maritime Union of Australia said workers were outraged by the unlawful attacks, saying the aggressive escalation was aimed at bullying workers into accepting management’s demands in a new workplace agreement.

“To strip wharfies of their approved leave at this time of year, when many had arranged approved leave to care for their kids or take family holidays, is an extraordinary attack on their own workforce by DP World,” MUA Assistant National Secretary Warren Smith said.

“The timing, in the middle of the summer school holidays, has clearly been chosen to cause maximum hardship for workers. All the company is doing though is solidifying the unity and resolve of wharfies nationally to stand up and fight back until they win their just demands off this global giant.”

Container News contacted DP World for a comment and there will be an official statement from the Dubai-based company in the next few hours.

Smith said during this period of negotiation DP World had sought to intimidate workers using workers’ family and social benefits such as Income Protection, we’ve seen dockings, actual sackings, threats of mass sackings, leave cancelled, attacks on democratic rights, and cancellation of Christmas bonuses.

“This ‘take it or leave it’ stuff might work for DP World elsewhere in their global operations, but wharfies will fight hard to defend against the threats and intimidation of this multinational stevedore,” he added.

“Rather than backing down, workers will be responding to this latest attack with a fresh round of industrial action, including strikes, rolling stoppages during each shift, and the imposition of a range of work bans.

“MUA members are standing firm in their desire to finalise a new workplace agreement, but it must be one that addresses the deeply important job security issue, as well as locking in vital workplace conditions but that can’t occur while DP World management remains intent on launching aggressive attacks on Australian wharfies.”

Antonis Karamalegkos
Editor, Container News

- Advertisment - LR Sustainability Decarbonisation Digital Adverts

Latest Posts

Maersk outlines roadmap to large carbon neutral boxships

AP Møller - Mærsk CEO Søren Skou has outlined the company’s route to producing large carbon neutral vessels by the end of this decade,...

Polish port neighbours vie for box volumes

Poland’s Port of Gdynia, around 15km north of Gdansk on the country’s Baltic coast is competing with its neighbour for cargo volumes, as both...

CMA CGM revises North Europe and Med rates

CMA CGM is continuing to update its prices, announcing new rates from the beginning of February in North Europe and the Mediterranean. The French line...

Updated: Maersk Essen loses many boxes in Pacific storm

Maersk Essen, a 13,100TEU vessel has reportedly lost a significant number of containers, on 16 Janaury, while en route to Los Angeles from China. Container...

Zhonggu confirms plan for up to 18 new boxships

China’s largest domestic liner operator Zhonggu Logistics confirmed on 20 January that it plans to order a dozen 4,600TEU container ships, with options for...